Mountain Mama!

Mountain Mama!

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Tribute

I had the best Mother-in-law in the world! She passed away from bone cancer metastasized from breast cancer in May of 2008 and I miss her dearly. I can't relate to all the horror stories about MIL's because I was truly blessed to be loved by mine. One thing among many, that she was GREAT at was cooking. She loved to watch cooking shows, and she was a collector of recipes. I was a witness to her large collection shortly after she passed. I had decided to put together a cookbook of her families favorites. She had a box that had thousands of clippings from magazines or notes she had written down and countless cookbooks. However, she had one book compiled with all the oldies and goodies. So I made a scrapbook out of them inserting family pictures and little stories that went with a family favorite. Here are a few pics of the finished product. I had 3 goals in making this book.
1. Not to put any part of myself into it (not my handwriting or my own thoughts). Only Mindy's.
2. Put stories and pictures of happy times to make us think of Mindy whole and happy.
3. Put recipes into the book that would make the tasters of the food think of the times that Mindy cooked it for them. There is something very strong about food memories. You feel closer to your loved one somehow by eating what reminds you of them.

Every time I cook something out to the book for my hubby I feel the joy that it brings him. I know he appreciates me bringing back a piece of his mom and filling his tummy with her yummy food.


2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea and a great tribute to a special godly woman who was loved greatly by all of us. I am loving your blog, Corie.... You are a great mom and so crafty and talented in making this long winter very special. Love all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks nGogo! I have been having fun blogging. It has been a bright spot in my day during these many storms.

    ReplyDelete