Mountain Mama!

Mountain Mama!

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Frozen meal anyone?

Our new addition is coming in May. I know I have pleanty of time to think about this but I want to be prepared. When we had G I had no idea how consumed with her I would be. I was unable to do much more than the essential in life inbetween nursing, changing, soothing. When J came things were a little better. I knew what to expect and we had a lot of sweet folks from our church bring us meals and it was a huge blessing. However, I am thinking ahead this time. I want to make lots of frozen meals ahead of time. I figure I will make them in my last trimester and freeze them for those first weeks of craziness. I have never done this before so I am lacking in the "frozen meal" recipe department. So if any of you have some Yummy, Kid friendly, Freezable meals you would like to share, I would love to have them. I found this one and am going to try it out this week.

3 comments:

  1. Corie,
    This recipe sounds yummy and I will try it for sure. Another easy thing that I am sure that you thought about is freezing taco meat the same way in a ziplock and also spaghetti sauce done the same way. What a great idea to be thinking ahead. Will look forward to seeing some of the shared recipes.
    Blessings to your family.
    Cathy Walton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corie, I have done lots of this and I think the easiest way to do it is to make two or three or even four of the recipe you are making for dinner and just freeze the rest. I use a lot of zip loc's because they can be frozen flat on a cookie sheet and then stacked. Also, you can line your 9x13 pan, or whatever size you want to use, with foil then freeze and pop it out. You can then just pop it back in the correct pan to bake and it's easy peasy and not much clean up either. Foil is not the greatest however for tomato casseroles like lasagna. For most casseroles though you can just grease your pan before put the food in, then you freeze and pop it out and wrap in freezer paper...then just unwrap and pop back in the right container to bake. Leftovers can also be frozen in zip loc bags or containers and one night can be.."choose what you want from the freezer night". Love to help you out with recipes that freeze well or any other way I can help. Call me if I can help you. Lots of the recipes on our family blog can be frozen easily.
    www.providentiallyfed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. this book is wonderful!

    http://www.amazon.com/Make-Ahead-Recipe-Cooks-Illustrated-Magazine/dp/1933615141/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289592027&sr=8-1

    ReplyDelete